Department: Administration and Finance
Directorate: Conference & Protocol
Annual Salary: USD 40,877 – USD 47,617
Supervisor: Language Coordinator
Duration: Twelve (12) months
Duty Station: Abuja, Nigeria
Closing Date: 24 April 2013
Duties and Responsibilities
- Translating from English into French or Portuguese, or from French or Portuguese into English or French, subject to revision, of correspondence and other documents such as letters, reports, agreements and summaries, frequently using terminology from the fields of law, crime prevention, rule of law, money laundering, terrorism financing and other fields.
- Identifying changes, new developments, inconsistencies and linguistic variations in the different terminology fields used in Communication and Information Technologies.
- Undertaking linguistic research and documentation on publications, including terminologies and ensuring proper storage of the research outcomes and constant updating of terminology database and tools.
- Following recent developments in computer-aided translation (CAT) and terminology.
- Maintaining close contact with colleagues and other language specialists within and outside the organisation in order to promote a consistent and standard use of terminology in ECOWAS documents.
- University degree in the relevant language and /or qualification from an internationally recognised School of Translators.
- No less than seven (7) years experience in translation into English, French or Portuguese, preferably within a national Government, international or non-governmental organisation.
- Good grasp of ECOWAS aims and objectives and procedures.
- Perfect command of the candidate’s native or main working language and excellent knowledge of the other official ECOWAS language.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure and produce high quality translations within stipulated deadlines.
- High degree of skill in writing, consistency and faithfulness to the spirit, style and nuances of the source text.
- Ability to quickly understand technical subjects and maintain good interpersonal relationships as part of a multi-cultural team.
Candidate should not be 50 years old or over at the point of recruitment and must be a citizen of one of the ECOWAS member states.
Must be fluent in one of the official languages of the Commission; English, French and Portuguese.
- ECOWAS Fashion Week to promote African fabrics (josephejiro.wordpress.com)