Background: The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the position of a Soybean Breeder.
IITA is an international non-profit research-for-development (R4D) organization created in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and supported primarily by the Consultative Group of International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). Our R4D is anchored on the development needs of sub-Saharan Africa. We develop agricultural solutions with our partners to tackle hunger and poverty by reducing producer and consumer risks, enhancing crop quality and productivity, and generating wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa. Please visit http://www.iita.org/ for more information on IITA.
IITA is looking for a suitably qualified person to fill the position of soybean breeder. The soybean breeder will continue an existing soybean breeding program for Sub Saharan Africa, utilizing adapted and introduced germplasm, with a goal of producing commercial cultivars suitable for conventional production as well as for food-grade markets. These cultivars may contain various specialty traits.
The primary responsibilities for the breeder will include:
· Providing leadership and interact with a dynamic group of scientists engaged in plant genomics research and soybean improvement.
· Research encompassing, but not limited to, genetics of seed biochemistry/metabolism, biotic and abiotic stress tolerance, or developing creative approaches for the exploitation of genomics and genomic data in germplasm enhancement and improvement of the soybean crop and development of client-preferred soybean varieties for a range of uses in SSA.
The candidate should have a PhD degree in plant genetics, genomics, plant breeding, or related field.
· The candidate must be capable of conducting a field-breeding program, and must have adequate molecular biology knowledge to interface with molecular research.
· Good knowledge of quantitative genetics is desired.
· Tropical soybean breeding experience is preferred. Although experience in soybean genetics is desired, persons who have established excellent research programs in the genetics, genomics, or breeding of other crop systems but with a desire and plan to develop a successful program in soybean improvement will also be considered.
· Good scientific publication record.
· Familiarity with on-farm research methods.
· Computer literacy and statistical data analysis capabilities.
· Ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural environment.
· Excellent leadership, interpersonal, and team building skills.
· Knowledge of Sub-Saharan Africa and good contacts with NARS scientists in the region is an added advantage.
Duty Station: IITA Zambia, Lusaka.
General information: Initial appointment is for three years. IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
Applications: Applications including curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three referees should be addressed to the Human Resources Manager. Please complete our online application form using this link: http://www.iita.org/irs-online-application
Closing Date: The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.