Date: January 17, 2013
Location: Lagos – Facilities Maintenance
Applicability: All interested candidates
Open to: All Interested Candidates
Position title: Plumber – FSN-04/FP – AA
Closing date: January 31, 2013
Work hours: Full-time; 48 hours / week
Salary: OR – Ordinarily Resident–N1,671,821 p.a. (Starting basic salary)
Position grade: FSN-04
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
NOR – AEFM, EFM / MOH – US$24,518
(Starting Salary) p.a.; Position Grade: FP-AA
Note: All not ordinarily resident applicants must have the required work and residency permits to be eligible for consideration. A U.S. citizen EFM does not have to be residing in country to be considered, but the sponsoring officer under com authority does have to be officially assigned to post
The U.S. Consulate General Lagos is seeking to employ a suitable and qualified candidate for the position of Plumber in the Facilities Maintenance Section.
Basic function of the position
The incumbent is directly supervised by the Maintenance Supervisor for all assigned duties as a Plumber trade. Assigned duties involve installation, maintenance and repairs of utility, supply and disposal systems, fixtures, fittings and equipment such as sewage, water, gas and oil lines, compressed air, vacuum and acid systems, water closets, water heaters, hydrants, valves and pumps.
Note: All applicants MUST address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each criterion or the application will not be considered.
1. Completion of elementary school is required, Completion of vocational training
or apprenticeship recognized as providing journeyman plumber skills, or equivalent experience is required.
2. A minimum of three (3) years of journeyman plumbing experience is required.
3. Level II. (Rudimentary Knowledge) Speaking/Writing in English is required
4. Must have full journeyman plumbing knowledge of established practices and procedure
5. Must be able to use all types of plumbing tools.
6. A valid Nigerian driver’s license is required
When fully qualified, U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) and U.S.
Veterans are given preference. Therefore, it is essential that the candidate specifically address the required qualifications above in the application.
Additional selection criteria
1. Management will consider nepotism / conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
2. Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
3. Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
4. Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
How to apply
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
1. Application for US Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus.
2. Candidates who claim US Veterans preference must provide a copy of their For DD-214 with their application.
3. Any other documentation (e.g., essays, certificates, awards, copies of degrees earned) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
4. A type-written and signed application letter specifically applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on the application letter.
Submit application to
Embassy of the United States of America
Human Resources Office
Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive
Central District Area
Or e-mail application to: HRNigeria@state.gov
Point of contact
Tel: 09-461-4000 Ext 4261
1. Not Ordinarily Resident (NOR) – An individual who:
Is not a citizen of the host country; and,
Does not ordinarily reside (OR, see below) in the host country; and,
Is not subject to host country employment and tax laws; and,
Has a US Social Security Number (SSN).
NOR employees are compensated under a GS or FS salary schedule, not under the LCP.
5. Ordinarily Resident (OR) – A Foreign National or US citizen who:
Is locally resident; and,
Has legal, permanent resident status within the host country; and,
Is subject to host country employment and tax laws.
EFMs without US Social Security Numbers are also OR. All OR employees, including
US citizens, are compensated in accordance with the LCP.